I started reading his book Broken Things to Mend this week, and I have enjoyed it so much. If you are looking for something uplifting and inspiring, I encourage you to look into this book. It has been pretty thought provoking for me and has really got me reflecting my own life- things I am guilty of, susceptible to, and strengths that I currently possess.
In the beginning pages of his book, Elder Holland retells a story from the New Testament that I wanted to share. For some reason, these verses have stuck with me more than they have in the past, and I have been pondering them heavily this week.
We know that when Christ was on the earth, He performed many miracles. He was loved and cherished. He was hated and crucified. He was, and still is, the Savior of the world. Elder Holland recounts the night when Jesus Christ ran to help his fearful disciples that were out on the water.
Christ, as He often did, approached the boat by walking on the water. The disciplines, I am sure with some relief in their eyes, saw Him coming to their aid, yet there was still a degree of fear and questioning. Christ called out, "It is I, be not afraid." Peter, now placed in a faith testing situation, asks if he can come out on the water if it is truly Him. Our Savior responded, "Come."
I'm sure there were a lot of thoughts flashing through Peter's mind as he gathered his robe and wearily stepped across the gunwale of the boat. BUT! His faith is working! As he begins to take those first feeble steps, and with eyes and focus completely on Christ, Peter is walking on water! It isn't until a moment of weakness and fear that the wind and waves caught his attention and he started to fall. Peter succumbed to his fear and began to sink, and he cried out, "Lord, save me."
I'm sure with some measure of sadness or disappointment, Jesus Christ stretched forth his hand, just like He does to you and I, and caught Peter. Christ then provides a gentle rebuke: "O thou of little faith, wherefore didst though doubt?"
How often are we like Peter? We see Christ in our lives and desperately seek to come to Him. With unwavering faith and endless trust, we do what He asks us to do. We take those feeble steps to come to Him.
But something happens.
Maybe it was a distraction of some kind? Some kind of vice in your life? Maybe you spent all your faith in those few first moments of bravery, and you cannot muster enough to finish the task to go to Him. Maybe fear, which we know is not of God, swallows your faith whole and you are left with doubt, despair, and frustration. You feel yourself start to sink, and in that moment have nothing to do but cry out for help. Do you swallow your pride and cry out for help, or do you let the ominous black gulf swallow you?
"Lord, save me."
We can liken this story to us in many ways, but one thing in particular is the exact moment Peter took his eyes off the Savior. Losing focus and strength, Peter begins to sink.
Nothing good happens when we take our eyes off the Savior. Christ saves us in so many ways- ways we probably don't even recognize yet. His invitation really isn't that hard, would you agree? "Come." That's it.
He is saying come as you are. Come right now. Focus on me, take those steps, and come. So why is it that we complicate the process? Why do we get caught up on the things that don't even matter? Why do we allow roadblocks that obstruct the path to our Savior?
I'm certain that the answers to those questions are different for everyone.
If I may, I plead with you to keep your eyes and focus on the Savior. It is through Him, and only Him, that we can come to find the peace our souls need in this increasingly wicked and divided world. The only perfect being to ever walk the face of the earth suffered, bled, and died on the cross that we might live again. And not only that. Christ paid the ultimate price and suffered for our sins so that as we repent and utilize the Atonement, we can become perfected through Him. It won't happen overnight. It will take time and require walks through the refiner's fire. However, He is on our side. He is our advocate with the Father. He has our best interest at heart.
Sometimes I'm a Peter. Sometimes I fail to see the plan God has for me. Sometimes I take my eyes off the Savior and put too much focus on the frivolous things of the world- the things that don't even matter in the end. And in those times of doubt - the times when I feel as though I am sinking - I muster my courage and cry out, "Lord, save me."
And He does.
And He always will.





No comments:
Post a Comment