To my surprise, my first shiny tube of mascara and little pad of eyeshadow were hiding in my Christmas stocking when I was in the 7th grade. Instead of wanting to check out new gadgets I had received that morning or watch a Christmas movie, I wanted to plaster that stuff all over myself. I remember thinking, "Man, these eyelashes keep getting in my way!" when I opened my eyes to look around the room after the first application.
After our move to Hawaii, one thing that absolutely astonished me was the fact that not a lot ladies wear make up here (at least that's the case in the few towns we have lived in so far). It's quite possibly because it gets so fetching hot that it just creases up or melts off, take your pick. That's definitely something I struggled with at first. You know, humidity at its finest- take a shower and never dry off. A lot of days I wake up and go, "WWWHHYYYY? I'M MELTING!" And instead of having to dab my face to keep my make up in place, I can go without and then wipe the heck out of my face. Perfect. Not only that, but I can stand in front of our big box fan to cool off and not have to worry about my eyelashes blowing off (haha).
As I have got to thinking about this a lot more, I find it sad that women rely SO MUCH on make up to make themselves look good. Why can't we be satisfied with the way God intended us to be in the first place? (Disclaimer: I am in no way saying make up is a terrible thing or should never be worn. I like my eyeliner or full, long eyelashes just like the next girl. Oh, and what about covering up those bags under our eyes when our baby doesn't sleep all night. Yep. I get it.) Being in Hawaii and being submerged in a culture that doesn't give a rats patoot about gobs and oodles of make up has really made me appreciate women in their purest state- the original them. I have realized that you don't need pounds of make up to be beautiful. Your outward self has NOTHING to do with what is on the inside, your potential, your personality, or the deepest concerns and love in those far away crevasses in your heart.
Am I trying to convince you to chuck your make up? Absolutely not. Am I telling you I don't get scared when I see my bare face in the mirror? Absolutely not. I scare myself quite frequently. I am pleading with you to ditch the thoughts and ideas of the WORLD and to learn how to be CONFIDENT (not cocky) with who you are. I beg you to be HAPPY with the body you have and to STOP being so dang hard on yourself. I know women who refuse to answer the door if their make up isn't done. I hope and pray we can strive to accept US for US, YOU for YOU, and HER for HER. Being unhappy and trying to change everything about you can be so unhealthy. Ditch the thoughts of the world. Come to the happy side. We have cookies. And less care about what the world thinks.


No comments:
Post a Comment